The Marathas held on to Odisha including Midnapore until 1749 when it was reconquered by Alivardi.
The Marathas continued to raid Midnapore, which proved disastrous for the residents.
During the era of the Muslim rulers of Bengal nawab, Alivardi Khan's general Mir Jafar fought successfully against Mir Habib's lieutenant Sayyid Nur near Midnapore town in 1746.
This was part of his campaign to regain Odisha and thwart the Maratha attacks on Bengal.
Jaleswar Sarkar which was ruled by the Subehdar of Odisha.
Midnapore (Pron: med̪iːniːpur) is the district headquarters of Paschim Medinipur district of the Indian state of West Bengal.
This consolidated the Company's hold on Bengal and Odisha (along with Midnapore).
The district of Midnapore which included Dhalbhum or Ghatshila, now in Singhbhum, Jharkhand was annexed in 1760 along with Burdwan and Chittagong both handed over to the East India Company by Mir Qasim.
It is situated on the banks of the Kangsabati River (variously known as Kasai and Cossye).
There are conflicting accounts of how the name Medinipur came to be.